Municipality in Alto Adige, in the province of Bolzano, Castelrotto (Kastelruth in German and Ciastel in Ladin) is located at the foot of the Alpe di Siusi, at 1060 meters of altitude, surrounded by the unspoilt nature of the Natural Park of the Sciliar. The area was inhabited since Pre-historic Ages, as evidenced by findings, recently brought to light. The first settlements were inhabited by Celts, that later submitted the Roman colonization.
Siusi allo Sciliar is a district of the town of Castelrotto, a popular tourist destination, surrounded by meadows and woods, and the departure station of the panoramic cable car that connects with the Alpe of Siusi.
In addition to the incredible natural spectacle of the Alpe di Siusi Plateau, not to miss between the sites of mention:
- the ruins of the Castle of Oswald von Wolkenstein, from which it takes its nickname " castellum ruptum" (ruined castle);
- the former residence of the Lords of Kraus, today seat of the Town Hall;
- the monumental Bell Tower, emblem of the town of Castelrotto, built where once stood a Gothic church, which was destroyed, in 1753, during a fire;
- the Church of Saint Valentine, inside which are preserved valuable frescoes of the XIV and XV centuries;
- the Farmers' Museum in the district of Sant' Osvaldo.