Located at the entrance of the road for Jaufenpass , at the edge of the Texel Group Nature Park, San Leonardo is the main town of Passeier Valley, in the province of Bolzano, 20 km from the spa town of Merano.
It is a modern resort which has maintained a strong tie with its past and its traditions and was the birthplace of the Tyrolean hero Andreas Hofer.
The town is considered an ideal holiday destination, thanks to its proximity to Merano and the ski plants of Plan and Racines, as well as several modern sports facilities offered.
San Leonardo also offers an important number of trails and walks between the Alps of the Ötztal and Stubai, up to the small farms located on steep mountain slopes.
Sites of Interest:
- the Parish Church of San Leonardo, mentioned in 1116, preserves within the baptismal font of Andreas Hofer in white marble and a valuable painting on the wall above the door of the sacristy;
- the Church of St. Hippolytus in Glaiten, located along the road to the Jaufenpass, about an hour and a half walk from the town center, which offers beautiful views and inside preserves a superb XIV century series of frescoes;
- the Church of the Holy Cross, with its Gothic frescoes located under the Castle of Jaufen;
- Jaufen Castle (Jove), the residence of the Lords of Passeier, built between the XIII - XIV centuries, on the site of an earlier prehistoric settlement;
- the home and birthplace of Andreas Hofer, with its museum and memorial room;
- the Maso Sandhof and the four Masi Scudati;
- the French Cemetery, which dates back to period of Napoleonic domination, where a plaque commemorates the more than two hundred soldiers that died here in 1809.