City of Trustees of the fascist era, inserted in the large drawing of land reclamation from the Pontine marshes, Sabaudia was officially founded April 15th, 1934. It was the city symbol of Italian Rationalism, immersed in a unique natural environment, rich in new conceptions and surrounded by the Circeo promontory in the background, the sand dunes on the coast, a series of protected wetlands, four coastal lakes (Lake of Paola or Sabaudia, Lake Caprolace, Lake dei Monaci and Lake di Fogliano) and the great forest of the Circeo.
Although Sabaudia is a city of recent foundation, the area was already inhabited since ancient times: in 1939, in fact, the skull of a primitive man (the man of the Circeo) contemporary Neanderthal man, as well as arrowheads and the remains of utensils, food and fireworks was found in the cave of Guattari. Earlier in 1934, during the excavation of the foundations of the city, two small caskets of the Bronze Age and other tools were brought t o the light, that have allowed the student Alberto Carlo Blanc assume the presence of a dwelling village. Also significant are the Roman remains, some of which were found by the team led by archaeologist Julius Jacopi.
Sites of Interest:
- the remains of the Villa of the Domitian, on the shores of Lake Paola, an imposing imperial structure of the I century A.D., large about 40 hectares, of which the engineering works are still visible, such as: part of the thermal bath systems, the large underground tanks, the portico with its superb marble floor with a fishbone pattern;
- the source of Lucullus, a grotto used since the Roman Ages, as a water cistern, located halfway between Sabaudia and San Felice Circeo;
- Via Severina;
- The Town Hall, with its base in dark red brick and travertine marble;
- The Civic Tower, 42 meters high and completely covered in travertine marble;
- Hotel Sabaudia on the Lake, the seat of a former famous hotel and restaurant of the Circeo area;
- the Headquarters of the Fighters Association;
- the Police station and barracks of the Royal Force of the Carabinieri;
- the Post Office building of Mazzoni, which features the colors of the coats of arms of the House of Savoy, represented by the red bricks and the blue tiles;
- the Maternity and Children Hospital and the Opera House, designed by the architect Vicario;
- the headquarters of the former farming industry ONG;
- the Church of the Annunciation, with its façade in travertine, which features a mosaic of Ferruccio Ferrazzi;
- the Church of Santa Maria della Sorresca dating from the XII century, though originally founded by the Benedictines in the VI century;
- the Greek Emilia Museum;
- the Maritime Naval Museum.