It is a municipality in the province of Oristano, located not far from this main center. The surroundings of Cabras feature: a large marsh area with some ponds (of which a very large one, of great interest, where fresh and salt water coexist, several species of birds and fish find their perfect habitat; the beaches of San Giovanni di Sinis and of Is Aruttas, both characterized by fine, white sand; the island of Mal di Ventre; Cape San Marco; the ruins of Tharros (a Phoenician center, later inhabited by Etruscans and Romans) and the ancient settlement of Masone Capras. All this creates a unique and rare combination of nature, history and art.
The presence of settlements in the region is confirmed since prehistoric times: the area of Cabras was, in fact, inhabited by Phoenicians, Etruscans and Romans. The first settlement was built between the Sinis and the Campidano, but over the times it was moved progressively towards inland to make it easier to defend from the numerous pirate attacks. Under the jurisdiction of Arborea, till late XI century, in later years the town was assigned to the Benedictine and Camaldolesi monks, to who were granted several fishing rights. In the early XVI century the entire area lost a lot from the demographic point of view, due to the constant pirate raids, and in the following century, under the Spanish domination, things were no better, as for the rest of Sardinia. In the second half of the XVII century, Cabras also submitted the invasion of French troops.
- the Church of San Salvatore built in the late XVIII century. Inside lies a well, whose waters are considered miraculous, and the interior features a corridor which opens into several rooms, on the walls of which several images are depicted. Under the building is a temple dedicated to Mars and Venus dating back to 300 A.D.
- the Church of San Giovanni;
- the Church of Santa Maria;
- the ponds of Mistas and Mar'e Pontis and those of Mar'e Pauli and Pauli'e Sali, the latter declared protected area by the WWF;
- Cuccuru S'arriu, which is a Neolithic cemetery, located at the center of the pond of Cabras;
- the Nuraghi;
- the remains of the Phoenician center "Tharros".