Surrounded by the green hills, Salsomaggiore Terme is famous for the Liberty-Deco style of its buildings and is a popular tourist resort and spa in the province of Parma. A perfect place for those seeking somewhere to relax, thanks to the presence of large and quiet green spaces and for the presence of a spa, known for its regenerating benefits.
Even though the curative effects of sea salt, bromine and iodine were already known and appreciated by the Celts and the Romans, Salsomaggiore Terme began to establish itself as a "ville d'eau" only after 1839, when the doctor Lorenzo Berzieri discovered the medicinal effects of the water that spring here and until then only used for the extraction of salt. From then on, from a small village, Salsomaggiore Terme turned into one of the largest and most famous spa resorts in Europe.
Sites of Interest:
- the Oratory di San Genesio (XIII century), in late-Romanesque style;
- the Church of San Giovanni Battista, built in the XII century and features three naves and a rectangular chancel roof with vaulted ceilings. Inside there is an admirable cycle of frescoes attributed to Antonio Mozzi;
- the Church of St. Nicomede, which retains its Romanesque structure in spite of subsequent alterations. In the crypt there is a well from which, for the local traditions, springs water with miraculous properties by the presence of the relics of the saint, recently transferred to the Cathedral of Parma;
- the ancient XVII century salt mines;
- the Castle of Bargone, built before year 1000, which belonged to the Bishops of Parma, while in the XII century, it passed to the Pallavicino and in XVII century to the Farnese;
- the Castle of Tabiano;
- the Castle of Contignaco;
- the Spa baths of Berzieri, erected in 1913 and designed by Ugo Giusti and Giulio Bernardini and decorated by Galileo Chini, in Art Nouveau-Art Deco style;
- Palazzo dei Congressi, a beautiful Art Deco-Art Nouveau building designed by Luigi Broggi and decorated by Galileo Chini. Inside, it is possible to admire old fascinating and frescoed, halls, as well as modern facilities, perfect to host large congresses, conventions, meetings and various events with a total capacity of 2300 seats;
- the Regional Park of the Stirone.