There is no harmony on the origins of the town's name, for some historians it derives from the Latin person's name "Sergius" (a Roman patrician landowner of the area), to which was added the suffix "-anus" to indicate ownership; while according to others, it derives from the Phoenician word "Saredi" (red, the color of the ground).
It is a municipality in the province of Cagliari, famous for the presence, on its territory, of a salt lake, perfect habitat for several species of birds. Originally devoted to agriculture and livestock, the local economy is strengthened by the production of olive oils and wine, such as: Vermentino, Malvasia and Moscato.
In the nearby countryside, excavations have returned several relics from the Neolithic, the Nuragic and the Phoenician-Carthaginian Ages. Other witnesses attest the presence of a Roman settlement: it is therefore clear that the area was inhabited since ancient times, but it is not possible to determine with certainty the exact date of foundation of the center. During the XIII century, Serdiana submitted the domain of the Giudicato of Cagliari and Curatoria of Dolia, while later it became a fief and assigned to the Counts of Gherardesca . When the Giudicato dissolved, in the second half of the XIII century, Serdiana was incorporated into the territories of Arborea, until reinstated the feudal regulation, it was assigned to the Pisani. In the XIV century it was conquered by the Aragonese, who at their turn assigned the fief to the Salavert and other families of local Lords.
- the Parish Church of SS. Salvatore, built between the XV and XVI centuries, features a Neoclassical façade with niches and pilasters and topped by a pediment. Inside the chapel of the Pieta, which dates back to 1610, preserves a late Baroque altar and a XIX century polychrome marble balustrade;
- the Church of Santa Maria of Sibiola, built in the XII century in Romanesque style. It is a rural building, surrounded by olive trees, located not far from the center. It was built by Benedictine monks;
- the Church of St. Anthony;
- the XVIII century Castle of the Roberti;
- the Salt Lake of Su Staineddu.