Scopello is a municipality in the province of Vercelli, located 659 meters above sea level, at the center of the Valgrande area, bordering with the province of Biella. From here it is possible to enjoy a splendid view of Monte Rosa and it is ideally located to easily reach the ski resort of Monterosa Ski, with its 180 kilometers of slopes, and the nearby town of Varallo, known for the Monte Sacro. For centuries the town was linked to the steel industry and its extraction, whilst today it is dedicated not only to its agricultural vocation, but mainly to tourism, due to the presence of the important ski station of Alpe di Mera. Scopello offers the possibility to practice all sports, with its cross country track surrounded by nature, its skating rink, soccer fields, golf courses, tennis courts and trails for mountain biking. There are various hiking possibilities with various degrees of difficulty, including the walk to the Cima Ometto, situated at about 1900 meters, which is one of the most popular destinations, thanks to its privileged location with a fantastic view over the surrounding landscape. The local traditions feature several culinary specialties, such as: miacce, tome, polenta, caponeit, mushrooms, chestnuts and game.
L'Alpe di Mera was used as pasture since the medieval period and it belonged to the accounts of Biandrate during the XII and XIII centuries. In the XVIII century Scopello became seat of a foundry, famous for coining the currencies of Savoy.
Not to miss:
- the Church of Our Lady of the Snows or Madonna Oropa, located in the village of Alpe Mera, from where it is possible to admire a beautiful landscape
- the Church of St. Bernard, which dates from the XIII century, built in the village of Ordarino and is probably the oldest church of the area.
- the church of Santa Liberata in the district of Chios.
- the Oratory of St. Joseph in the village of Casa Pareti
- the Oratory of St Pantaleone in the district of Frasso.
- the Church of San Rocco.
- the Church of St Pantaleone in Frasso.
- the Parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta, of XVI century origins, situated on a promontory.
- the Natural Reserve located between the municipalities of Pila and Scopello.