The town's name has Indo-European roots, from "ak", a diminutive of "acelum" (sharp).
Municipality in the province of Treviso, located where the Venetian plain joins to the hills and is crossed by the river Musone, Asolo and includes a flat area and one full of mountains with peaks that reach a maximum elevation of 379 meters above sea level. A charming town, rich in history and art, whose centre was built nearby to the main road and is characterized by late-medieval arcades, under which several quaint shops have been opened.
The study of the exhibits, traced in the area of Pagnano, attest the presence of settlements since the first Paleolithic Ages. The first permanent settlement dates back to the Bronze Age, later colonized by the Romans, who proclaimed it Municipium. After the fall of the Empire, it became a Bishopric and suffered a difficult period, due to the raids of the Hungarians in the IX century. Under the rule of the Bishop of Treviso, an important stronghold was built. In the first half of the XIII century the town was conquered by Ezzelino Romano, but was assigned again to its original jurisdiction shortly after. Later granted to the Della Scala, in the XV century, Asolo was assigned to the Serenissima Republic of Venice and the center experienced a great period of economic and demographic development. Although awarded with the title of city in 1742, it shared, with the entire region, the same historical fate and was conquered by Napoleon, included into the Habsburg Empire and submitted the war years of the XX century.
- the Cathedral, dedicated to the Virgin, which was built in the XV century within the city walls. It features a Romanesque-Gothic façade and typical elements of the Renaissance style. The chapel of SS. Sacramento dates back to the XVI century and the porch to the XV. It houses an artwork of the artist Lotto, an altarpiece by Jacopo da Ponte, a famous painting of Quarena and several other important masterpieces;
- the Church of Sant'Angelo;
- the Captain's Lodge, built in the XV century, was frescoed by the artist Contarini at a later date and today is seat of the Civic Museum;
- the medieval Fortress, symbol of the city, which is located on top of Mount Ricco. It was built in the late XII century;
- Villa Contarini divided into two separate buildings and surrounded by a vast and beautiful Italian garden;
- the XVII century Town Hall, which features a colonnade on the ground floor and two rows of windows;
- the XVI century Lombard House, which features a series of mullioned windows with classical decorations;
- the Civic Museum, inside which are preserved archaeological finds and fine artworks;
- the Roman aqueduct.
Keywords about Asolo: Town of Asolo, City of Asolo, Tourism in Asolo, Asolo Vacation, Touristic information Asolo